Laporte Indiana History

The university was founded in 1884 as La Porte University, the first public university in Indiana and the second in Indiana. Besides the county town, it is also the French Gate with its approximately 1000 inhabitants.

It houses the La Porte County Historical Society and the Lafayette County Museum, including the Indiana State Museum of Natural History and the French Gate Museum. It is the site of a number of historic buildings and sites in and around the city of Lafayette, Indiana, including a museum, public library and state park, as well as several historic homes and buildings.

LaPorte County, Indiana is located in the eastern part of Indiana, north of Indianapolis and west of Fort Wayne and Lafayette.

The county includes LaPorte, Lafayette, Fort Wayne and Lafayette-Lafayette Township, as well as Lafayette and Portage. The municipalities that are located within this circle include the cities of La Porte City, Laporte Township and La Porte Town. Town and city outside of this county, including the town of Portages, the town of Leesburg and the town of Elkhart.

The city of LaPorte is particularly concentrated, as are the cities of Portages, Portage, Lafayette, Fort Wayne and Lafayette - Lafayette Township. A number of historic buildings in La Porte County and Lafayette County are on the National Register of Historic Places, particularly the Lafayette Municipal Building.

Let's talk about La Porte in the context of its history as a city, not only as an industrial center, but also as one of the most important cities in Indiana.

The town of La Porte, Indiana, a small town in the eastern part of the state, was founded in 1811 by the city's first mayor.

The District Government is a constitutional body and is granted special powers by the Indiana Constitution and the Indiana Code. In most Indiana counties, probate books are kept by county officials and county courts. The vital records of LaPorte County are available at the Indiana Office of Vital Records, which keeps copies of all birth and death certificates.

La Porte County Symphony is located in the vibrant arts landscape of northwest Indiana, serving a region that spans southwest Michigan. LaPorte is the terminus of the South Shore rail line, which begins at Millennium Station and ends in Michigan City, Indiana. Here, one more road from Chicago to Western Michigan crosses than one intersection, and here, the streets of Chicago and Erie cross, and three or four families live in the South.

In October 1831, a government property was sold in Logansport, and Major Isaac C. Elston of Crawfordsville is said to have purchased the land, now called Michigan City, and laid out the city land in October 1832. The Michigan City map is recorded in 1833, but no surveyor has ever laid it up. Walker, James, Abraham, and Fr. Andrew bought land to build a city that would be the county town, and an attempt was made to establish a city called Belmont.

While the newly completed Michigan Road served to drive the Pottawatomie out of northern Indiana, it also served to bring new settlers into the region. The residents of Starke County, virtually isolated from the rest of the county, asked to join LaPorte County, which was completed on January 28, 1842.

Over the years, LaPorte County has become a kind of microcosm of America itself, with a number of interesting local paradoxes, including the Civil War. Indiana, along with its neighboring sister state Illinois, was a free state that actually had a history of slavery and servitude under the Northwest ordinance before statehood, and these decidedly non-free conditions persisted even after the state's status. The township, located south of Michigan City, grew out of one of those wild counties with a population of just over 100,000 people and an area of about 1,500 square miles. LaPorta County was particularly well located; the flat, flat terrain that crossed the Michigan River and its tributary, the Ohio River, to the north provided ample well and river water.

More About LaPorte

More About LaPorte